Thursday 12 July 2012

Koi... Mil Gaya

As you can most likely infer from the title, today's film that I watched was Koi Mil Gaya. I thought that overall it was a good film. The film starred Hrithik Roshan, Preity Zint and Rekha. Preity Zinta was one of the first Bollywood actresses I'd heard of (you can tell that I walked into this whole Bollywood thing with NO understanding of anything in it) so I was excited to finally see a film she starred in.
I had already seen Hrithik Roshan in the film Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham where he acted as a handsome, suave guy. In this film however, that persona is put on the back burner for most of the film as he plays the character of a young boy, Rohit, who as a result of a prenatal brain injury, is unable to grow to full mental capacity. As a result he is bullied by children his own age, in particular by the bad guy, Raj Saxena. Furthermore, both Raj and Hrithik's character are in love with the same girl, Nisha, no guesses as to who plays her character. As the film shows, he is constantly harassed by kids his own age and can only find solace amongst little kids whom he befriends. This all changes when he meets Jadoo, an alien who has been separated from the rest of his species. Jadoo posesses supernatural powers which lead to a turn in life for Hrithik's character. The film ranked no. 1 in 2003 according to boxofficeindia This film definitely posesses elements of the 1982 Spielberg blockbuster E.T. The whole plot of an alien being separated from the clan and befriending a human. Although this movie does have parts of a love story woven in, I wouldn't call it a romance. This is a film I would most likely recommend for a young child since it is a very lively, happy movie.
Here's an interesting fact which I later learned from research of the film, the character who plays Rohit's (Hrithik's character in the film) father, is Hrithik Roshan's real life father. Overall, while I did enjoy this film, it would not make it onto my top favourites list of films. My rating for this is 7/10 for an enjoyable film.

1 comment: